Motivation: Our event is part of the long tradition of conferences (https://wiki.sagemath.org/Workshops). Since 2007, more than 100 Sage Days have been organized around the world. During these days, participants discover the SageMath software, develop their programming skills and contribute to the development of the software. SageMath is free mathematics software developed by the research community, students, and research engineers. It relies heavily on voluntary contributions as well as on the one-off funding of research projects. Women in Sage days have already been organized in six different countries (United States, South Korea, France, Canada, Greece and Senegal). All have been successful (see for example http://africanwomeninmath.org/activities/conference/women-in-sage-in-senegal organized by E. Lorenzo García and M.-F. Ouedraogo in September 2021). Not only, the participants improved their programming skills, contributed to the software, but they also created research collaborations and gained confidence in their own skills. We believe that Women in Sage days organized at University of Ibadan with the support of the African Women in Mathematics Association (AWMA) and Nigerian Women in Mathematics (NWM) is an opportunity for the whole community.
- bring together African mathematicians to work together, share their motivation, and discover women from different countries to different career levels, which can be considered as role models.
- launch new research projects and collaborations between mathematicians from different African countries.
- Create new contacts and mentoring networks for young women embarking on mathematical research.
- teach new programming skills to African women mathematicians.
- And finally, contribute to the SageMath software and train new users and contributors.
2. Conference Planning and organization
Organizing and Scientific Committees:
- Adinya, Ini (University of Ibadan, Nigeria)
- Elisa Lorenzo Garcia (Université de Rennes 1, France; and Université de Neuchâtel, Switzerland)
- Marie Françoise Ouedraogo (Université Joseph Ki-Zerbo, Burkina Faso).
Local Organization Committee
- Dr. Zamurat A. Adegboye, Kaduna Polytechnics
- Dr. Ini Adinya, University of Ibadan
- Prof. Deborah Ajayi, University of Ibadan
- Dr. Olubunmi A. Fadipe-Joseph, University of Ilorin
- Prof. Nkem Ogbonna, Michael Okpara University
- Dr. Olusola B. Ogunfolu, University of Ibadan
- Prof. Roseline B. Ogunrinde, University of Ado-Ekiti
- Dr. Deborah O. Makinde, University of Ife
- Dr. Taiwo Sangodapo, University of Ibadan
- Prof. O.O. Ugbebor, University of Ibadan
Main Lecturers (Project leaders): The main project leaders include:
- Prof. Cécile Armana (Université de Besançon, France): Number Theory
- Prof. Stéphanie Nivoche (Université Côte d’Azur, France): Complex Analysis
- Dr. María Cumplido Cabello (Universidad de Sevilla, Spain): Group Theory
- Dr. Sabrina Kunzweiler, (Ruhr-University Bochum, Germany): Cryptography
- Dr. Olivia Nabawanda (Mbarara University, Uganda): Enumerative Combinatorics
- Dr. Ini Adinya (University of Ibadan, Nigeria): Financial Mathematics
Our event is a collaborative conference addressed to young African researchers. Particularly, but not exclusively, to young female researchers. There will be at least 6 research projects.
All the main project leaders have confirmed their participation. The program will also include discussions on gender balance and women in mathematics.
– 2 months before the conference: online event of introduction to Sage and opening of a workshop chat via the Zulip platform to encourage the contact between the participants and the group leaders before the in-person part of the workshop.
– During the workshop (12-16 September 2022): working in groups from Monday to Thursday and some talks and panels on Women in Maths presenting AWMA, the CWM, and CIMPA opportunities. On Friday there will be participants talks explaining to their peers what their learnt during the week.
Here is the link to register: https://forms.gle/pnbgJvrzF6bSG9gT6
Registration will be open until June 15th, 2022.
Logos of our sponsors:
|Pastor E.A. ADEBOYE Professorial Chair in Mathematics University of Ibadan|
From Monday, September 12, 2022 to Friday, September 16, 2022
University of Ibadan, Ibadan Nigeria